Skip to main content

Setbacks Over Progress. 

Tonight I was going through my phone, looking through old notes I had left myself in my phone. I noticed one from December 31, 2017. It was before 2018 hit us, and 10 days before our world started to  turn completely upside down. 



It was a list of all the good things and accomplishments of 2017. 

“Became pregnant with our fourth child”. 

Just like that. 

I remembered something I’ve been doing a LOT of recently. I’ve caught myself if the good moments, reflecting, but not in a good way. I look at old photos, from before Sadler, or before his pregnancy took a high risk turn, and I just bask in those moments of happiness. I try so hard to remember the happiness i felt in those photos. And just like that, hello guilt. 





Almost 5 months has passed, and while there is no routine of how grief plays out, you begin to realize patterns and ways of how you deal and cope with all things associated with your grief. But as the time goes on, you start to notice things changing. Your thoughts and emotions go astray. Time, in an essence, can really start to hurt instead of heal. 

I start out by having a good time. I can relax, a smile comes across my face, the laughter can finally start. And I cling to those moments, because most of the time I have forgotten them and I don’t remember the normalcy of happiness. These moments remind me of who I used to be, and I just let it wash over me. For a brief moment, I feel like me again. 

But it doesn’t always last. MOST of the time, it doesn’t last. Guilt takes over my joy, and I feel like I am somehow dishonoring Sadler, and that I’m not remembering him enough... that it’s not ok for me to feel happy. I get anxious, and it’s almost as if I beg for the grief to return and continue. Like I’m asking to be depressed, or sad, or to cry for him. Guilt sends me in to what I like to call a “grief safe zone”, and I become overwhelmed all over again. How could I possibly allow myself to be happy without Sadler? 

I crave normalcy regularly, and to know what it’s like to feel healing. I want to live a fulfilling life after Sadler’s loss. But  every day, EVERY DAY, guilt speaks so loud that it’s impossible to ignore. If I’m not grieving, I’m feeling a constant guilt trip sitting on my shoulders. 

I know that these feelings will eventually fade, and as my healing process continues, the guilt will surely disappear. But right now, it’s such a huge part of my journey, and I hate it with every ounce of my being. 

I am really struggling to comprehend these emotions, and I’m so tired of overthinking EVERYTHING.

 I feel like a construction zone - - messy and complicated, but I’m thing to understand that as I work through my journey of grieving Sadler, it will bring me closer to where I want to be. 

Even in these everyday moments, when it feels more like a setback than progress. 

I love you Sadler Boone, and I promise you will forever be embedded in to my heart and my every day life. 



Comments

  1. I know without a doubt in my heart that you are closer to Sadler when you're experiencing joy than any other time. He wants his mama to smile, he wants you to laugh--not just a little chuckle, but a great deep belly laugh that makes you nearly pee your pants. He's with you in those moments, shining down light and warmth.


    Everything you're feeling and going through is part of your healing. Even when it doesn't feel like you're making progress, you are. Sadler can't be here with us physically but anyone who knows you can see and feel that you're carrying him in your heart.


    To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1‭-‬8 KJV
    https://bible.com/bible/1/ecc.3.1-8.KJV

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plans may Fail, but God doesn't

I have decided to not go in to much depth about the passing of Sadler, but I do want to write about it. Writing is very healing for me. The following blog speaks of infant death, please only read at your discretion. Sadler's tiny body reacted negatively to the surfactant that was administered to him to help with the maturity of his lungs. His vitals were stable, until he was given the first dose of those steroids. The first call to come down to the NICU was terrifying. What's even more terrifying is walking in to the nursing staff and the neonatologist reviving your child. Chest compressions and intubation. Stats dropping to a low, low. Loud noises from machines going off. Sitting there, unable to do anything as your child lays there helpless and lifeless. The hospital chaplain approaches and asks if we would like to pray, and of course being a family of faith we do. We cry, and we pray. We pray, and we cry. I text my best friend, Shannon, and asked that she

VBAC Birth Plan

It has been over a year since I last sat down with my laptop for a blog. A LOT has happened. Most people who read these blogs are people who keep up with me frequently, so I won't bore you with some excessively long post about what we've been up to. The biggest thing though, is that we are expecting again! And we are only a little less than 2 weeks away from the delivery of our baby GIRL. I thought I would want to sit down and blog all about pregnancy after loss, and all the highs and lows that come with it. But the truth is, I've just really enjoyed being a little bit more low key with it. We've decided she is our last baby, and my husband took permanent measure to ensure that (love you babe). We announced the pregnancy publicly via social media after we found the gender out around 15 or 16 weeks.  I am planning to have a natural VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean), with the hospital that we delivered Sadler at, which is also where Hasting was born

The Natural VBAC Birth of Daragh Wren

On Saturday morning, 12/14, I started having slight bloody show. I also had frequent bowel movements, which can be a sign that labor is near. I continued the day cleaning house, and doing all my normal daily routines. Saturday night, I ended up not getting any sleep. I slept for about an hour. I was having irregular, pretty strong contractions, that kept me up. However, I knew it wasn’t true labor.  Sunday morning, 12/15, I decided to call Chad’s mom and ask her if instead of taking the kids to church, if she would come to our house and sit with them. Because of the intensity of my contractions, I wanted to get out and walk. She came over, and Chad and I went to Aldi and got groceries, and brought them home. We left again and went out to the mall. We had lunch, and then we walked the mall down and back. When I got back, I did a PARTIAL miles circuit, and got on my ball doing a few different exercises to help baby descend. Chad’s mom left, and I got in bed. Around 10pm I noticed