Skip to main content

Labor of a Loss

Trigger warning**

If you have a weak stomach, or talk of loss is painful, please do NOT read this post. This post is about my traumatic laboring experience during a loss. 


Wednesday, August 5th I felt great all morning. In the evening I started just feeling off. I laid down, and Chad cares for the kids so I could rest. I woke up to some sharp, excruciating pains in my abdomen. I kept up with how frequent they were coming, and noticed they were coming every 2-3 minutes, just like contractions. Eventually, they became unbearable, and so painful I began to cry. Annestyne was nursing, and luckily unlatched herself. Chad noticed how much pain I was in and volunteered to take the kids and just go through a drive-thru somewhere for dinner, and go get me some medicine. 

He left, and I decided to take a hot bath to help ease the pain of my stomach. I immediately began clotting and losing blood. I could feel every time I was contracting I was also clotting. I felt like I was in real labor, only worse. I was losing the placenta and more tissue. Birthing the placenta in a loss is 10x more worse than birthing a child via natural birth. It was awful. 

I wasn't prepared for any of this. My loss was so early, I didn't think I would experience any of this. 

I labored in the tub for 2 hours, and changed water twice. I listened to Hillsong, and I cried. 

 Chad fed the kids and put them to bed. Poor Chad was so nervous and I kept having to reassure him that everything happening was normal. He gave me 1.5 hydrocodone to take for the pain.

After a while, I felt off. My face started to tingle and I was getting clammy. I quickly got out of the tub, grabbed a towel, and ran to our bed. I passed out. I woke up to Chad shoving apple juice and peanut butter in my face. 

At this point we had agreed Chad needed to stay home from work. 

Once I woke up from passing out, my pains were far worse. I couldn't move. All I wanted to do was cry. I kept feeling like I needed to poop, so I made it to the toilet.  I couldn't sit up on the toilet long enough without getting dizzy, my face tingling, and getting clammy. Every time I sat on the toilet, I had to immediately get off, and I would lay in the bathroom floor, crying out in pain. 

I was white as a ghost and the pain was excruciating. I wanted to go to the hospital. I had passed so much blood. My sugar was low. I hadn't ate. I was dehydrated. And I was passing out. 

My sweet, sweet husband got me dressed. I would have just worn a robe and underwear to the hospital. Bless his heart, he had no idea how to put a pad in underwear. He left the paper on the wings and was putting it on my inside out underwear. He threw a huge t shirt of his on me, and some super hooch shorts. I didn't care at the moment. I was just hurting, and bad. 

My SIL was able to come and be with the kids while we went. The kids were already in bed, so we just needed someone to be at the house with them. Chad carried me to the car, and had the seat laid back so I could lay down. He had gotten me a cheeseburger from McDonald's earlier (gross I know), and I was hungry. I knew I needed to eat. So I asked him to grab it. As soon as he left me, I had to swing the car door back open and I got sick. 

After I got sick I felt much better. The pain had subsided, but I was still bleeding and clotting heavily. So I still wanted to go in to the hospital. 

My vitals were checked. I was hooked up to an IV for dehydration. I was given Zofran for nausea, and blood was drawn to check my quants. 

I was asked to undress and cover up. As soon as I went to undress, I clotted bad and blood came dripping all down my legs. The clot was the size of my fist, if not a little bigger. 

My quants last Friday were at 41,271. 
Last night they were at 18,000. 

They did an abdominal and vaginal ultrasound. Checking to see what was left and  making sure there were no clots in my uterus. Everything was clear except for a cyst on my right ovary. 

A pelvic exam was also done to check on my cervix, which was fine, just obviously still dilated. 

The doctor expressed concern with the amount of blood loss I had experienced, and seemed keen on a D&C. I have a checkup with my OB tomorrow, and she wanted me to discuss that with them.

My bleeding has slowed back down to how it was prior to last night. I'm hoping the worst is over. 

I refuse a D&C unless I'm in danger. I am not ok with drugs to make me loopy. I'm not ok with a spinal tap. And I'm certainly not ok with someone forcefully  scrapping the remainder of my loss out of my vagina. 

We made it home around 3:30 this morning, and my sweet and amazing husband let me sleep until noon today. I woke up with an excruciating migraine, and I'm still exhausted, but other than that I feel better. 

Emotionally, I feel empty. I'm tired of being tired. And I'm tired of going to baby doctors knowing I'm not taking a baby home in the end. Depending on my quant results from tomorrow's lab, I may not return for anymore quants. 

This has been one of the most emotional, sad, scary, and painful experiences of my life. My heart is with women who have experienced multiple losses. 

I wanted to write about the physical loss process itself, because I know there will be women like myself. Women who have never experienced a loss before, become pregnant, and then receive the news. You feel so lost and scares and don't know what to expect, how it will feel, or anything about the physical process. Each woman is different, but being able to read different women's stories can help to offer some sort of insight. 

I pray that no one ever has to experience this. It takes a piece of you away, forever. I pray for my friends who have opened up to me since we found out about our loss, and expressed they have also experienced loss. 

I thank God for staying by my side, and for giving me the strength to overcome this. Without his love, I would have no strength through this all. He is a loving God, and I know he has promises of a big future for me and my family. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans may Fail, but God doesn't

I have decided to not go in to much depth about the passing of Sadler, but I do want to write about it. Writing is very healing for me. The following blog speaks of infant death, please only read at your discretion. Sadler's tiny body reacted negatively to the surfactant that was administered to him to help with the maturity of his lungs. His vitals were stable, until he was given the first dose of those steroids. The first call to come down to the NICU was terrifying. What's even more terrifying is walking in to the nursing staff and the neonatologist reviving your child. Chest compressions and intubation. Stats dropping to a low, low. Loud noises from machines going off. Sitting there, unable to do anything as your child lays there helpless and lifeless. The hospital chaplain approaches and asks if we would like to pray, and of course being a family of faith we do. We cry, and we pray. We pray, and we cry. I text my best friend, Shannon, and asked that she

VBAC Birth Plan

It has been over a year since I last sat down with my laptop for a blog. A LOT has happened. Most people who read these blogs are people who keep up with me frequently, so I won't bore you with some excessively long post about what we've been up to. The biggest thing though, is that we are expecting again! And we are only a little less than 2 weeks away from the delivery of our baby GIRL. I thought I would want to sit down and blog all about pregnancy after loss, and all the highs and lows that come with it. But the truth is, I've just really enjoyed being a little bit more low key with it. We've decided she is our last baby, and my husband took permanent measure to ensure that (love you babe). We announced the pregnancy publicly via social media after we found the gender out around 15 or 16 weeks.  I am planning to have a natural VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean), with the hospital that we delivered Sadler at, which is also where Hasting was born

The Natural VBAC Birth of Daragh Wren

On Saturday morning, 12/14, I started having slight bloody show. I also had frequent bowel movements, which can be a sign that labor is near. I continued the day cleaning house, and doing all my normal daily routines. Saturday night, I ended up not getting any sleep. I slept for about an hour. I was having irregular, pretty strong contractions, that kept me up. However, I knew it wasn’t true labor.  Sunday morning, 12/15, I decided to call Chad’s mom and ask her if instead of taking the kids to church, if she would come to our house and sit with them. Because of the intensity of my contractions, I wanted to get out and walk. She came over, and Chad and I went to Aldi and got groceries, and brought them home. We left again and went out to the mall. We had lunch, and then we walked the mall down and back. When I got back, I did a PARTIAL miles circuit, and got on my ball doing a few different exercises to help baby descend. Chad’s mom left, and I got in bed. Around 10pm I noticed