Skip to main content

Kombucha!

KOMBUCHA is a fermented tea.It's benefits include better digestion, increased energy, and a clearer mind. It has been consumed for over 2,000 years and has been used for medicinal purposed in countries such as China, Russia, and Germany. Kombucha is an all natural health beverage chockfull of probiotics and other healthy amino acids. Probiotic literally means “for life”. Unlike antibiotics, which kill ALL of the bacteria in your body, even the good stuff, probiotics re-establish the natural ecology of the intestinal flora. Probiotics are said to boost immunity, enhance mood, fight allergies, detoxify the body and rid the body of disease.
 
It is naturally carbonated and is purported to have a host of healing properties that may include:
*Probiotics – healthy bacteria
*Alkalize the body – balances internal pH
*Detoxify the liver – happy liver = happy mood
*Increase metabolism – rev your internal engine
*Improve digestion – keep your system moving
*Rebuild connective tissue – helps with arthritis, gout, asthma, rheumatism
*Cancer prevention
*Alleviate constipation
*Boost energy – helps with chronic fatigue
*Reduce blood pressure
*Relieve headaches & migraines
*Reduce kidney stones
*High in antioxidants – destroy free-radicals that cause cancer
*High in polyphenols
*Improve eyesight
*Heal excema – can be applied topically to soften the skin
*Prevent artheriosclerosis
*Speed healing of ulcers – kills h.pylori on contact
*Help clear up candida & yeast infections
*Aid healthy cell regeneration
*Reduce gray hair
*Lower glucose levels – prevents spiking from eating
 
 
Kombucha in a health food store can average anywhere between $3-$4 a bottle. It's much cheaper to brew it on your own. SO I wanted to MAKE MY OWN. So I started researching, and asking a lot of my natural mom friends that made it to help a sister out.
 
I learnt that you need a SCOBY to begin the process. A SCOBY? Like Scooby doo? No like Sk-O-bEE. Either you get one from someone who has previously brewed Kombucha (which can be tought sometimes), OR you make your own.
 
What is a SCOBY?  A pancake of bacteria and yeast. That is all :)
 
If you are unpatient like me, and want to make your OWN scoby from scratch you can follow these directions. This is what I started with!
 
After you have your Scoby you can start your tea!
 
This is all you need.
  • One gallon GLASS Jar. I get mine for .50 from a local store that receycles them!
  • SCOBY
  • 1 cup Organic Sugar
  • 4-6 bags of Green Tea, Black Tea, or a combination of both
  • Distilled Water
  • Cloth
  • 1 Cup Starter Liquid (either saved from your scoby or substitute distilled vinegar
  • Rubber Band
 
FIRST...
You need to make your "sweet tea" solution. This is your food for your tea.
 
1. Boil 4 cups of water!

2. Add your Tea bags
3. Let them steep for 6 minutes.

4. Pull the tea bags out.
 
5. Add 1 cup of organic sugar.

6. Stir until it dissolves :)
 
7. Pour the mixture in to your one gallon jar.

8. Add the distilled water. If tea is body temperature or below, proceed to the next step. If not, wait until it cools before completing the next step.

This is a Scoby, FYI, with the Starter Liquid.
8. Add your scoby and the starter liquid.

9. Cover it with your cloth and seal it with a rubber band.

10. Put it in a dark, warm place for 7 days. DO NOT DISTURB IT BEFORE THOSE SEVEN DAYS. DO YOU HEAR ME?
 
 
SECOND..
 
After 7 days, insert a straw beneath the newly formed Kombucha SCOBY and take a sip. If too tart, then reduce your brewing cycle next time. If too sweet, allow to brew for a few more days, tasting every day or so until you reach your optimum flavor preference for mature Kombucha Tea.
 
Brewing cycles can vary quite a lot but are normally between 7 days to 2 weeks, though they can be longer under certain circumstances, especially cold. Properly brewed Kombucha has a slightly sharp (acidic), not sweet taste. A cycle or two may be required to determine the ideal taste/time/temperature combination, but you will get the hang of it quickly. Then it’s time to bottle your delicious, healthy Kombucha tea.
 
THIRD..
 
It's time to bottle your bucha!
Wash your hands and remove both kombucha mushrooms (the new Kombucha baby culture that formed and the original Kombucha mother culture) and place in a clean bowl.
 
 Pour 2 cups of liquid from the top of your brew over the kombucha cultures. This is your starter liquid for the next batch. Make sure to keep a cover on those. You can now either keep both, or give your new Scoby away and keep your mother.
 
When bottling, make sure to use glass bottles. I use receycled glass bottles, some are receycled store bought Kombucha bottles. If you want, you can go to your local Home Brew store to get bottles, but they aren't cheap.
 
Whatever flavor you have decided to make your kombucha, place it directly on the bottom of the bottle.
 
Place a funnel in the bottle and pour the Kombucha over it. Fil to the top for increased carbonation. Repeat for all your bottles, but be sure to not bottle up the last portion of your tea that has all the yeast floating around in it.
 
Put lids on your bottles and let them sit for 1-3 days. Make sure to "burp" them to let out carbination and prevent explosion.
 
Once done, they're ready! Stick them in the fridge!
 
Gongratulations, you have just made your own batch of Kombucha tea!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. We should open our own little shop?? I could teach raw vegan classes, "cook" for people, etc., and you could sell your natural cleaning products, kombucha, etc... Sound good? Your blog is very much what I want to do with my raw stuff; however, I use a lot of other people's recipes, and I'm not 100% comfortable sharing their recipes on my blog (with my pics, etc.)... Anyway, it looks good!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plans may Fail, but God doesn't

I have decided to not go in to much depth about the passing of Sadler, but I do want to write about it. Writing is very healing for me. The following blog speaks of infant death, please only read at your discretion. Sadler's tiny body reacted negatively to the surfactant that was administered to him to help with the maturity of his lungs. His vitals were stable, until he was given the first dose of those steroids. The first call to come down to the NICU was terrifying. What's even more terrifying is walking in to the nursing staff and the neonatologist reviving your child. Chest compressions and intubation. Stats dropping to a low, low. Loud noises from machines going off. Sitting there, unable to do anything as your child lays there helpless and lifeless. The hospital chaplain approaches and asks if we would like to pray, and of course being a family of faith we do. We cry, and we pray. We pray, and we cry. I text my best friend, Shannon, and asked that she

VBAC Birth Plan

It has been over a year since I last sat down with my laptop for a blog. A LOT has happened. Most people who read these blogs are people who keep up with me frequently, so I won't bore you with some excessively long post about what we've been up to. The biggest thing though, is that we are expecting again! And we are only a little less than 2 weeks away from the delivery of our baby GIRL. I thought I would want to sit down and blog all about pregnancy after loss, and all the highs and lows that come with it. But the truth is, I've just really enjoyed being a little bit more low key with it. We've decided she is our last baby, and my husband took permanent measure to ensure that (love you babe). We announced the pregnancy publicly via social media after we found the gender out around 15 or 16 weeks.  I am planning to have a natural VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean), with the hospital that we delivered Sadler at, which is also where Hasting was born

The Natural VBAC Birth of Daragh Wren

On Saturday morning, 12/14, I started having slight bloody show. I also had frequent bowel movements, which can be a sign that labor is near. I continued the day cleaning house, and doing all my normal daily routines. Saturday night, I ended up not getting any sleep. I slept for about an hour. I was having irregular, pretty strong contractions, that kept me up. However, I knew it wasn’t true labor.  Sunday morning, 12/15, I decided to call Chad’s mom and ask her if instead of taking the kids to church, if she would come to our house and sit with them. Because of the intensity of my contractions, I wanted to get out and walk. She came over, and Chad and I went to Aldi and got groceries, and brought them home. We left again and went out to the mall. We had lunch, and then we walked the mall down and back. When I got back, I did a PARTIAL miles circuit, and got on my ball doing a few different exercises to help baby descend. Chad’s mom left, and I got in bed. Around 10pm I noticed