Skip to main content

Our decision to go Gluten Free

It's an entire lifestyle change. 

But one that needed to be dealt with now. In both the kids and us as parents. 

For about a year on and off, Chad dealt with some pretty severe internal gut issues. We were going to Doctor after doctor and leaving with zero results. At one point, doctors believed he was battling giardia, but tests said otherwise. He was tested for celiac, but that too came back negative. 

But you see, there's a fine line difference between Celiac Disease and a gluten intolerance. Celiac disease is the most severe form of gluten intolerance. Celiac disease is a condition that causes an immune system reaction when an individual consumes food containing gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye and barley. Milder forms of gluten intolerance occur independently and cannot be diagnosed with blood tests or a small intestine biopsy, (tissue sample), the way celiac can be. 

So, with all that, finally, a little bubble popped up in my head. (A long time ago). We tried going gluten free a year ago, and it was a disaster. We did it ALL wrong. We were trying to buy too many replacements, boxed foods (and even gross gluten free breads). Long story short, we sucked at it, and back to our gluten infested diets we went.

Time passed, obviously, and I noticed Hasting's skin was flaring up worse than I had ever seen it. He had occasional flare ups prior, and I just shoved it aside. I would lather him up in essential oils and coconut oil and be done with it. I chose to ignore it, because seriously, who wants to go gluten free? 

Well, I started to notice that Annestyne's skin was doing the same exact thing as Hasting's. Now, I'm not calling my self parent of the year, but they got a stellar PB sandwich almost daily. Along with all kinds of other gluten goodness. 

They were constipated, complained of their bellies hurting, gassy, fussy, and overall irritable. 

I was exhausted. Pure EXHAUSTED. I'm a mother, I know, I'm supposed to be exhausted. But this was different, and not your "pregnancy exhaustion" tiredness either. But you know what sucked? With exhaustion came insomnia. I wasn't sleeping to save my life. And headaches? What's that? I was having the most severe headaches I've ever had. And I dreaded sitting on the toilet to poop. Poop? What was poop? 


It still wasn't clicking. 

So more time passed. My grandmother fell very ill, and I got reconnected with one of my first cousins. We met up to visit with our grandmother, and somehow got on the conversation of diets. That's when it clicked. 

My kids are miserable because of this gluten crap. Stop it. Stop it right now. Slowly deminish this demon OUT of their diets. 

So, Chad and I discussed it. 

We decided to slowly wean ourselves of all gluten. We began to little by little get what gluten was left in our home, out. I went through our pantry and our fridge. We gave away food to friends and family. We said goodbye to flour completely. We buy more whole foods than ever, and I cook more than ever. 

Wanna hear an embarrassing secret?

I added up how much we spent on eating out during the month of November. 

$367. Yes $367. You heard me. 

We have been gluten free for around 2 weeks now. We've ate out 3 times. And it has cost us less than $50. 

My husband. He's killin it. He has lost over 15 pounds. 

The kids? Oh they're pooping like they've never pooped before. Their bodies love them so much. So much. Their skin seems to be getting better. Mind you, it can take weeks for gluten to completely free your system. Like up to 6 weeks or something like that. 

So. Here's my point. 

We're THOSE parents. The ones who will probably be called "strict loonies" because we won't allow our kids to shove that delicious processed fake sugary cake in their mouths at a birthday party. People WILL judge us. And that's ok. Food is everything, especially in growing and thriving children. Instead of winning a child over with sweets and treats, about you just try pure love and affection? 

I now send snacks everywhere with our kids. I've asked grandparents to stop buying junk food, and to pull it completely out of sight from our children. If they aren't with us for a main course meal, I pack it. I've made a very thorough list of what they can and can't have, and if anyone has questions about feeding them something, they call me. 

And NO none of us are deprived. Or have allergies. Or do this just because. We feel better. We look better. We are better. And trust me, our carbs that are "deminished" from not eating gluten are most certainly taken in elsewhere. 

We're coming up on our first holiday as a gluten free family. I'll be baking a pie or making some sort of sweet treat to take to our family get togethers. None of us will be left out at the sweets table (don't worry). 

Both of the kids have birthday parties coming up. But, it's gluten free cakes to the rescue! Our local bakery that I've used since day 1 makes GF cakes--so guess what? I still get to have my overly expensive, overly awesome, beautiful cakes my children just HAVE to have (because I say so). 

Don't let your food make you suffer. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans may Fail, but God doesn't

I have decided to not go in to much depth about the passing of Sadler, but I do want to write about it. Writing is very healing for me. The following blog speaks of infant death, please only read at your discretion. Sadler's tiny body reacted negatively to the surfactant that was administered to him to help with the maturity of his lungs. His vitals were stable, until he was given the first dose of those steroids. The first call to come down to the NICU was terrifying. What's even more terrifying is walking in to the nursing staff and the neonatologist reviving your child. Chest compressions and intubation. Stats dropping to a low, low. Loud noises from machines going off. Sitting there, unable to do anything as your child lays there helpless and lifeless. The hospital chaplain approaches and asks if we would like to pray, and of course being a family of faith we do. We cry, and we pray. We pray, and we cry. I text my best friend, Shannon, and asked that she

VBAC Birth Plan

It has been over a year since I last sat down with my laptop for a blog. A LOT has happened. Most people who read these blogs are people who keep up with me frequently, so I won't bore you with some excessively long post about what we've been up to. The biggest thing though, is that we are expecting again! And we are only a little less than 2 weeks away from the delivery of our baby GIRL. I thought I would want to sit down and blog all about pregnancy after loss, and all the highs and lows that come with it. But the truth is, I've just really enjoyed being a little bit more low key with it. We've decided she is our last baby, and my husband took permanent measure to ensure that (love you babe). We announced the pregnancy publicly via social media after we found the gender out around 15 or 16 weeks.  I am planning to have a natural VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean), with the hospital that we delivered Sadler at, which is also where Hasting was born

The Natural VBAC Birth of Daragh Wren

On Saturday morning, 12/14, I started having slight bloody show. I also had frequent bowel movements, which can be a sign that labor is near. I continued the day cleaning house, and doing all my normal daily routines. Saturday night, I ended up not getting any sleep. I slept for about an hour. I was having irregular, pretty strong contractions, that kept me up. However, I knew it wasn’t true labor.  Sunday morning, 12/15, I decided to call Chad’s mom and ask her if instead of taking the kids to church, if she would come to our house and sit with them. Because of the intensity of my contractions, I wanted to get out and walk. She came over, and Chad and I went to Aldi and got groceries, and brought them home. We left again and went out to the mall. We had lunch, and then we walked the mall down and back. When I got back, I did a PARTIAL miles circuit, and got on my ball doing a few different exercises to help baby descend. Chad’s mom left, and I got in bed. Around 10pm I noticed